The FIG Tree International Fair Trade Centre has become a cooperative
The FIG Tree is a not for profit Community Interest Company that opened in Garstang – the world’s first Fair Trade Town – in November 2011 and moved to Lancaster in 2015, but has been without premises since flooding the same year. Thanks to all our stakeholders, customers, volunteers, staff, Friends, donors, Directors, fair trading partners and our fair trade and local producers we have:
- Delivered 56 Fair Trade Chocolate workshops and hosted 14 school visits.
- Sold over £148,000 worth of products and gifts.
- Attracted over £137,000 in grants and donations including £86,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to deliver two projects on the local heritage themes: Fair Trade Towns, the British Atlantic Slave Trade and Quakers.
- In 2017 produced over 120kg of chocolate using cocoa beans sourced from the Fairtrade Kuapa Kokoo cooperative in Ghana. This has provided a sales income of over £5,700 (as of November 2017).
- Promoted the Fair Trade Way long distance fair trade heritage trail from Garstang to Keswick
The FIG Tree has amended its CIC rules to allow us to operate as a cooperative and widen our membership.
We need new members to:
- Provide small scale finance to help us; acquire, refurbish and maintain new premises to host our International Fair Trade Centre incorporating a Fair Trade Chocolate House in central Lancaster; continue to support the international Fair Trade Towns movement by offering advice and support, speaking at conferences and hosting visits and continue to sell Fair Trade products and promote Fair Trade locally, nationally and internationally.
- Volunteer with us as coffee baristas, make bean to bar chocolate, run workshops, fundraise or take part in one of the many other volunteering opportunities we offer.
- Join our Board of Directors and/or provide specialist skills in ICT, finance etc
- But most importantly we want YOU to be a part of something special.
To become an individual or corporate member of The FIG Tree, please email your completed application form to email@example.com
Alternatively, you can send a completed form to the following address: The FIG Tree Secretary, Flat 18, Alexandra Court, Chapel Street, Lancaster, LA1 1NA.
Not for profit Groups – Are you a not-for-profit, school, faith group, social enterprise or perhaps a Fair Trade Town group? Then you can become a part of The FIG Tree Cooperative through our corporate membership. Follow the link below to download a copy of the corporate membership form. If you have any questions, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download an individual membership form by clicking here (please open using laptop or computer, as it is not yet supported on mobile devices)
Download a corporate membership form by clicking here (please open using laptop or computer, as it is not yet supported on mobile devices)